The recent string of storms across the US is another reminder of how much there is to monitor at our homes. While we all have work, school, kids, after school activities, older parents to care for, and any number of other things, how often are we thinking about the care of the roof over our head?
Most of us just think of storms as something that can knock the power out but they also deliver a ton of water, which many houses are not suited to handle if they are not monitored and maintained. Walk yourself through the below list and take a few minutes this weekend to put you and your family at less risk of needing to call us for emergency work.
• Have you cleaned your gutters so that rain water is not overflowing into your eaves and soffits?
• Have you cleared the drains at the foot of your basement stairwells?
• Have you had a tree service assess the trees closest to your house for disease or compromised structure?
• Have you checked your electrical panel to make sure that all your breakers are GFCI of AFCI protected? It’s now required by code.
• Have you checked the GFCI outlets that your sump pumps are plugged into? Are those outlets high off the floor as they should be?
• Have you considered a water powered sump pump in the event of a power failure?
• Have you checked the flashings around the vents on the roof? They should be replaced every 10 – 15 years.
• Have you had your generator serviced? Should you consider getting one installed?
We hope you are on top of all these things and have no reason to call us. If you need any advice or guidance, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Happy Spring!
Christopher Lux has spent the last 15 years in the residential remodeling industry and is a Design Build Consultant with Harth Builders in Spring House, PA. Chris is available for in home consultations as well as speaking engagements by calling 215-654-0364